Thursday, December 25, 2008

What's It All About, Anyway?

I'm sure by this time of year, you've most likely heard about the "reason for the season." This now-trite phrase is used to remind us that we're not supposed to be wrapped up in the consumerism that masquerades as Christmas.

I heard an interesting bit on NPR about "personalized" Christmas cards--you know, the ones where you take the photo of your kids or your dog down to Costco and get it made into a card to show your friends and family how well everything is going for you.

Not that I'm against them. I've sent them myself--taken the picture of our kids in their festive red outfits in front of the tree nearly eclipsed by presents, rushed down to the local big-box store eight days before Christmas in the hopes that we could get new cards minted and mailed to show up on time. We've all done it, and we will all probably continue to do it.

But the next time you prepare to do it, think about this:

On your next birthday, how would you like to get a picture of me, my house, my kids, my kids' pets, my family on vacation, or my deck?

No comments:

Post a Comment