Dell has this great NAS device that runs Windows 2008 Storage Server Standard--the NX3000. The only problem is that Dell treats it like an "appliance," meaning you can't partition it the way you want. I recently ordered two with 6x1TB drives and wanted to deploy DPM to them. Unfortunately, Dell's RAID1/RAID5 combo doesn't make very good use of the available storage. I wanted to be able to use most of the space for DPM storage, so I needed to re-set it up from scratch.
Dell only provides "recovery" media (an image as opposed to install media), so you need to obtain the Windows 2008 Storage Server media on your own (such as from MSDN). Note: Dell's recovery media will not work if the disk configuration if the first two drives are not in a mirror set.
I spent two days figuring it out so you don't have to.
Once you have the media, here are the steps to get it set up completely:
1. Download all of the drivers from the Dell Support Site and save them to a USB stick.
2. Install from Windows Storage Server 2008 media. Be sure to select the edition (if installing from media with multiple editions) that matches the WSS key on the system chassis). Use the WSS key on the chassis for installation.
3. Install drivers from USB stick.
4. Log in to server with username administrator, password wSS2008!. This would be the only OS I've ever installed with a pre-configured administrator password.
5. Install Dell OpenManage software from Dell System Build DVD.
7. Add Web Server role and add all role services (except FTP).
8. Open command prompt and run start /wait ocsetup.exe SIS-Limited /norestart.
9. Run Windows Update and install all available updates to bring current.
11. From System Center Data Protection Manager DVD, navigate to SQL2005 installation directory.
12. Run Setup to install SQL 2005.
13. Select Database, Reporting Services, and Workstation/Client components. Ensure all sub-items are selected by clicking "Advanced" button and expanding each component.
14. Specify an instance name of MS$DPM2007$.
15. On the Service Account page, select the Customize for each service check box and configure as follows:
a. Select Customize for each service account.
b. In the Service box, select SQL Server.
c. Select Use the built-in System account, then select Local System account.
d. In the Service box, select SQL Server Agent.
e. Select Use the built-in System account, then select Local System account.
f. In the Service box, select Reporting Services.
g. Select Use the built-in System account, and then select the Network service account.
h. In the Service box, select SQL Browser.
i. Select Use the built-in System account, then select Local Service account.
16. Accept defaults for the rest of the SQL 2005 installation.
17. Open the Internet Services Manager (Windows 2008 version).
18. Expand Web Sites, expand Default Web Site, and then click the virtual directory for the report server.
19. Under Features View, double-click Handler Mappings.
20. Under Actions, click Edit Feature Permissions.
21. Click to select the Scripts check box, and then click OK.
22. Close Internet Services Manager.
23. Open Services applet.
24. Stop all SQL services.
25. Run SQL 2005 SP2 setup.
27. Launch System Center Data Protection Manager 2007 setup.
28. Select the local database instance (MS$DPM2007$).
29. Enter a strong password for the DPM account.
30. Complete setup, accepting all defaults.
32. Download and install DPM 2007 SP1.
34. Download and install most recent hotfixes from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/961659/EN-US.
35. Call 1-888-571-2048 (if in USA) to activate WSS by phone (online activation will most likely not work in this instance; you will need to speak to a representative).