Sunday, November 2, 2008

Whisky or Whiskey?

This evening, while I was settling down to write a document on our handoff of a WSUS 3.0 environment to the proud, new parents, I decided that I needed a little something to get past any possible writer's block. So, out came the Maker's Mark Bourbon Whisky and shaker.

If you're really interested in the Whiskey versus Whisky debate, I suggest further reading somewhere else. Perhaps the community-controlled source of half-truth known as Wikipedia?

As far as I understand it, the Scots supposedly have claim to "Whisky," and all other distilleries supposedly use "Whiskey." Perhaps it's the "copy" versus "Xerox" debate--with much fame, your brand name is bound to get diluted. Maker's Mark claims to have Scottish heritage in their Bourbon, hence the "whisky" spelling.

But I digress.

A typical whiskey sour is a pretty simple concoction of whiskey or bourbon, fresh squeezed lemon, and sugar, such as this:

Classic Whiskey Sour
2 oz bourbon or whiskey
2/3 oz fresh squeezed lemon
1 tsp fine granulated sugar

However, I am a perpetual tinkerer. While I enjoy the purist's point of view, I also enjoy seeing if there's a way to make a good thing even better. While the main flavors are intact, I have made some modifications as to the source of the flavors.

Now, before you laugh me off the internet, I know what you're going to say about Southern Comfort. Just trust me on this one.

Fancy Whiskey Sour
1 1/2 oz bourbon or whiskey (I like Maker's Mark)
1/2 oz Southern Comfort 100
1/2 oz Caravella Limoncello
1 fresh-squeezed Mexican lime
1/2 tsp fine granulated sugar
1 splash of water

Shake vigorously with ice, and then strain into an old-fashioned or rocks glass with ice.

The Southern Comfort is a bourbon liqueur, so it pulls double duty as a bourbon and sugar, which results in the smaller portion of sugar required. I've found this recipe garners excellent reviews from everyone who has tasted it. However, your palate and friends palates may differ.

Southern Comfort 100 is a 100-proof liqueur, so it's a little more potent than the 80-proof whiskey traditionally used. If it tastes a bit harsh, you can try the standard Southern Comfort (70 proof) instead or another splash of water. You can tinker as well with the ratio of Southern Comfort, whiskey/bourbon, and sugar.

And, if you're really into a more sweet and sour drink, you can try this:

New Orleans Sour, otherwise known as "Soco and Lime"
2 oz Southern Comfort
1 fresh-squeezed Mexican Lime
splash of water

While I do appreciate the classic recipes and know them by heart, I also appreciate a new take on an old favorite. Let me know if you like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment